Mini Walnut Apple Pies
With First Squirrel Problems, Brown Ale
Prep Time 45 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 15 mins
Yield 24 pies
• 3 ounces cream cheese softened to room temperature
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
• 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 2 Tablespoons butter melted & cooled
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup walnuts finely chopped
• 1 cup apples cored, peeled & finely chopped
• 1 crowler of First Squirrel Problems, Brown Ale
1. Place diced apples and chopped walnuts into a large bowl. Pour brown ale over ingredients until covered completely. Set aside.
2. Place cream cheese in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer just for a few seconds until smooth. Beat in the 1/2 cup softened butter until smooth then beat in the granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Then beat in the flour.
3. Cover the dough and refrigerate for about 20-30 minutes or until chilled.
4. Divide the dough between 24 cups of a greased (with butter) mini muffin pan. Using your fingers or handle of a wooden spoon spread the dough up the sides of each cup to form a thin crust. Place back in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
6. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the brown sugar, eggs, melted butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt until well combined. Strain the chopped walnuts and apple well, then stir into the mixture.
7. Remove the crusts from the refrigerator, and spoon the filling into each cup. Do not overfill like I did!
8. Bake the pies at 350 degrees F for about 30-35 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Cool about 5-10 minutes then run a sharp knife around edges of crust to remove. Cool pies slightly on wire cooling rack before serving.
9. Enjoy pies with a nice cold glass of Brown Ale!